• Be at least 15 1/2, but under 18 years of age
• Complete the DMV application form (DL44)
• Obtain you parent’s or guardians signature on the application form. Both parents signatures are
required unless their is sole guardianship
• Present an acceptable birth date/legal presence document. It must be an original imprinted birth
document. No photo copies are acceptable (No Hospital copies)
• Present DMV Form OL237 showing you have successfully completed drivers education.
• Provide your social security number. Recommend bringing actual social security card
• Pay the required $31.00 application fee
• Have your picture taken
• Pass the written examination on driving laws and regulations. If you fail the permit test, you must
wait one week before taking it again.
The Provisional Instruction Permit is not valid until you start your behind
the wheel drivers training with a licensed driving instructor. You may drive
with provisional permit after your lst behind the wheel lesson with any Calif.
licensed driver, 25 years of age or older.
Please call our office to book your first driving lesson as soon as you know when your going to
DMV to take the permit test. This will expedite the process of having your permit validated so they
you can practice your driving as soon as possible.
Provisional License Requirements:
• Be at least 16 years old
• You have had a provisional permit for at least 6 months. This date begins at the issued date on
• Present the DMV with a OL238 certificate, proof of of completion of the mandatory 6 hours
behind the wheel.
• Have your parent’s and/or guardians signature on your instruction permit, certifying that you
have completed 50 hours of training, 10 hours of night driving.
• Pass the behind the wheel driving test. (If you fail, you must wait two weeks before you can
take the driving test again.)
• Give your thumb print