When doing this test, write your answers on a sheet of paper, then go to the answer sheet to correct.
1. A person between 13 and 18 years of age may have his of her driving privilege _____ for one year if convicted as a habitual truant.
c) And vehicle impounded
2. If you have a conditional driver license, there is (are):
a) A special time limit to renew your license
b) Special restrictions you must follow when driving
c) Age limits imposed on your driver license
3. It is illegal for a person under 21 years of age to drive with blood alcohol concentration (BAC) that is ____ or more.
a) One hundredth (0.01) of one percent
b) Five hundredth (0.05) of one percent
c) Eight hundredth (0.08) of one percent
4. You sold your vehicle. You must notify ____ within 5 days.
a) Your insurance company
b) Your bank or credit union
c) The DMV
5. A curb painted blue means:
a) Parking for a disabled person with a placard
b) Loading or unloading passengers only
c) Parking for a limited time
6. Which of the following is true about double parking?
a) It is illegal under all circumstances
b) It is illegal unless you wait in the vehicle
c) It is allowed if you are making a delivery
7. The handbook recommends signaling for at least ____ seconds before changing lanes on the freeway.
8. You want to change lanes. To be sure the lane is clear, you should:
a) Look into the rear view mirror only
b) Turn your head and look in the lane you want to enter
c) Turn your head and look over your right shoulder
9. When should you use your headlights?
a) One hour after sunset
b) Anytime you can’t see at least a mile ahead
c) Anytime you have trouble seeing other cars
10. Which of these statements is true regarding motorcycles?
a) Motorcycles are small and can be easily
b) Motorcycles may not share lanes
c) Motorcycles should be followed at a greater distance
11. The best advice for driving in fog is DON’T. But, if you must drive in the fog, you should:
a) Use your emergency flashes regularly
b) Turn on your parking lights only
c) Turn on your low beam lights
12. Why should you signal when you don’t see any vehicles around?
a) You don’t have to signal if no one else is on the road
b) A vehicle you don’t see might hit you
c) You only need to signal when changing lanes
13. When can you cross a solid double yellow line to pass another vehicle?
a) Under no circumstances
b) When you know there are no cars coming towards you
c) When a slow moving vehicle refuses to use a turn-out lane
14. You forgot to set your parking brake and your vehicle rolled into another car. What must you do?
a) Leave a note on the other vehicle
b) Make a report to your insurance company only
c) Wait for the owner to return
15. Flashing red lights on a stopped school bus mean stop:
a) If you are following the bus, but not if you are across the street from it
b) As long as the red lights flash
c) First, then proceed when safe
16. Scanning while you drive means you look:
a) At everything
b) At the car immediately ahead of you
c) As far ahead as you can see
17. You are driving on a city street and see an emergency vehicle behind you with flashing lights. What should you do?
a) Speed up to clear traffic
b) Drive to the right edge of the road and stop
c) Stay in your lane, but slow down
18. The driver ahead of you stops at a crosswalk. What should you do?
a) Drive to the right edge of the road and stop
b) Stop, then proceed
c) Change lanes, look carefully, and pass
19. Safely backing your vehicle does not include:
a) Looking back over your shoulder as you back
b) Checking behind your vehicle before you get in
c) Tapping your horn as you back
20. When may you legally go around or under a railroad crossing gate?
a) Under no circumstances
b) When you can see clearly in both directions
c) When crossing gates are stuck
21. Parking is NEVER permitted:
a) In a crosshatched pattern space next to a disabled parking space
b) Twenty feet from a railroad track
c) On a hill
22.The speed limit at a blind intersection is:
a) 25 mph
b) 15 mph
c) 10 mph
23.The maximum speed limit for ideal, driving conditions:
a) The speed of other vehicles on the road
b) The posted speed for the road or freeway you are using
d) Whatever speed you feel is safe for you
24. This sign means:
a) Fewer lanes ahead
b) Divided highway ahead
c) Crossroad intersects the main road
25. Bicycle rider must ride:
a) In the direction of traffic
b) Facing traffic
d) On the sidewalk if there is no bike lane
26. It is illegal to block an intersection:
a) under any circumstances
b) Unless you have the right-of-way
c) Unless some of the cross traffic can get around you
27. Who has the right-of-way at an intersection where there are no crosswalks?
a) The vehicles, but it should slow down
b) The pedestrian, always
d) The pedestrian, but only when a crosswalk is marked
28. You can drive off the road to pass:
a) If the vehicle is turning ahead
b) If there are two or more lanes traveling in your direction
c) Under no circumstances
29. Accidents usually happen:
a) On multilane freeways
b) When one driver is going faster or slower than other drivers
c) On bridges and overpasses
30. When should a 3 year old weighing 45 lbs. Be placed in a safety seat?
a) Under all circumstances
b) Only if the child is in the front seat
c) Only when driving on the freeway
31. You are involved in an accident and there is an injury. You must
make a written report (SR1) to:
a) The CHP
b) The DMV
c) Your insurance company
32. You just rear-ended the car in front of you. You were probably:
a) Weaving in and out of traffic
b) Following to closely
c) Looking in your rear view mirror too often
33. You are driving and coming to a corner with a flashing yellow signal light. What should you do?
a) Wait for the green light before entering
b) Stop before crossing
c) Slow down and cross carefully
34. This sign means you cannot:
a) Turn left
b) Make a U-turn
c) Enter the side road
35. During the first six months after you are licensed, you may:
a) Transport minors unaccompanied at any time
b) Not transport minors between the hours of midnight and 5:00 am unaccompanied
c) Drive between the hours of midnight and 5:00 unaccompanied
36. Which of these is a legal U-turn?
a) On a highway where there is an opening for a turn
b) In front of a fire station
c) 150 feet before a curve in the road
37. To make a left turn from a two-lane one way street into a two way street, start in:
a) The far lane
b) Any lane available
c) The lane closest to the middle of the street
38. You just parked your vehicle parallel to a curb. The wheels must be within ____ inches of the curb.
39. You are driving at night and using high beams. Dim your lights when you are ____ feet from an oncoming vehicle.
40. You are driving in lane 1 of a 4 lane freeway. To exit, you should:
a) Only signal for ten seconds
b) Change lanes one at a time until you are in the proper lane
c) Be driving 10 mph under the posted speed limit
41. You have been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol. The judge sentenced you to 48 hours in jail. In addition, you may:
a) Have to pay a fine
b) Have your vehicle taken away for 60 days
c) Lose your license for up to 18 months
42. Which of these will make a person sober?
a) Drinking black coffee
b) The passing of time
c) Exercising vigorously
43. The California Driver Handbook recommends several tips to help you keep alert on long drive, one of these tips is:
a) Pull off the road and rest
b) Change lanes frequently
c) Use the “fast” lane to avoid traffic
44. This sign means:
b) Do not enter unless it is safe
c) You cannot enter the road from your direction
45. Which way do you turn your front wheels to park uphill next to a curb?
a) Parallel to the curb
b) To the left-away from the curb
c) To the right-into the curb
46. This sign means:
b) There is a sharp curve in the road ahead
c) The road ahead may be slippery